Title: Examen ordinandorum; With Confessio catholica S.S. Concilii Tridentini; With Pia, Atqve Svccincta Canonis Missae Odo; With Opusculum aureum de dignitate vita et moribus clericorum, 1570(?)
Author: Johann Wild, Niccolo Aurifico; Georg Eder; Odo, Cameracensis; Niccolo Aurifico
A late 16th century sammelband of works, containing Wilds’ Examen ordinandorum, ad quæstiones sacrorum ordinum, Eders’ Confessio catholica S.S. Concilii Tridentini, Odo’s Pia, Atqve Svccincta Canonis Missae Odo, and Aurificos’ Opusculum aureum de dignitate vita et moribus clericorum.
The first leaf is a woodcut displaying what appears to be the Arma Christi, of Christ and the objects associated with the Passion, although it most certainly was supplemented from another work. There are several other woodcuts throughout, including one of Christ rising from his tomb.
Of two of the authors, George Eder arranged the Roman Catechism for schools in 1569. Distributing the main doctrines into sections and subsections, he added tables of contents for them as well. As for Odo of Cambrai, also known as Odo of Tournai, he was a Benedictine monk, scholar and bishop of Cambrai. His treatise De peccato originali, composed between 1095 and 1105, discuss the problem of universals.
At the end is an inscription dated 1688 and bearing the words “Can Reg St Aug Monastery Borovaniensis”. This points prior ownership to the Monastery of Augustinians in Borovany, Czechia, whether an inhabitant, or part of the monastery library at one point. Founded in 1455 by Peter of Linda, the monastery of the Augustinian canons functioned until 1564, being abolished by Vilem of Rozmberk due to poor management. It was only until 1658 that the Augustinians returned, although the monastery required extensive repairs due to damaged incurred during the Thirty Years’ War and saw expansions over the following decades. In 1785, the monastery was abolished again, rebuilt into a chateau, and later sold to the city in 1940 to be repurposed as a school, which ceased operations in 1997. Finally, after further reconstruction and repair, the monastery was reopened to the general public, with an added museum to the upper floor, explaining the buildings’ history.
This volume is bound in full contemporary blind-tooled leather of the 16th century, over bevelled wooden boards. There are ruled and decorative borders to the covers which surround faded images, though the rear board displays what appears to have been a female figure with laurel leaves, and a Latin inscription to the bottom.
Four parts bound into one volume in 32mo, (10 of 16)+602 of 604 pages
On note of condition, this volume is in good shape, with rubbing and wear to the binding, damaged to the clasp remnants, peeling to the foot of the spine, and the leather lacking to the headcap. One of the clasps on the front board is lacking, and the figures that were once present to the central panel have mostly faded away, though a faint impression is still present to the rear board. The main title page A1, leaves A2-A3, A7, and pages 301-302 are lacking. There is a page repair to page 303. There is some foxing and staining throughout.